Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Pop-culture Lucidity

I need a new topic. I fear that my utero-centric writing has just empowered the uterus and it's now acting out just to get attention and to remain the topic of my blog. It's like a child star who may lose the sitcom and doesn't know how to get validated anymore. It's causing me so much pain right now, it's demanding that I take drugs, just like Dana Plato and Todd Bridges. Yes, I'm showing my age with references like that....

Speaking of, I had an epiphany the other day. I realized that I am as pop-culturally literate as I'm ever going to be because the people that are writing and producing all that crap right now are my age. They make references to the Banana Splits, Tootie, and Dee from What's Happening and that means something to me. I remember being a kid and not getting jokes on TV that my parents laughed at. It's because at that time, the people that were writing the crap were my parents age and had the same experiences and memories as they did.

So, I'm going to ride out this wave of pop-culture lucidity for as long I can because then it's a really fast sliding slope to ignorance. I rue the day when nostalgic references to Yu-Gi-Oh become part of adult pop-culture. I'll have no idea what's going on at that point.

I recently saw a movie that signifies I'm already on that slippery slide. It was Napoleon Dynamite, and I absolutely hated it. I'm pretty sure there was an age thing and I just couldn't find it funny. Yet, the soundtrack resonated with me. It was a perplexing mix.

The good thing is that with age comes a nice inverse proportion: increased wisdom with a decreasing sense of self-consciousness. It's quite a nice blend.

P.S. My uterus still hurts. Dammit.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home